Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

How and why should I add more expertise categories? Options
Johnny-Admin
Posted: Tuesday, June 7, 2016 11:54:40 AM

Groups: Member

Your expertise categories are your way of letting potential clients know about your knowledge and experience. You have 100 total categories from which to choose, including 5 main categories and dozens of niche subcategories. You may edit and update subcategories at any time. Expertise categories are important! If a client is looking for a writer with specific knowledge of a topic, they will search that category for those writers. If you don't show up in their search, you may be losing out on writing opportunities. Likewise, if your categories are not accurate, or you choose ones that don't reflect your true expertise, you may be setting yourself up for trouble. Taking jobs in areas where you aren't comfortable can lead to more revisions, more declines, and low ratings. The best way to make your expertise categories work to your advantage is to choose ones that reflect: • your work experience • your interests and hobbies • all professional certifications • your involvement in organizations Also, make sure that you add as many categories as possible, up to your total of 100. The more categories you have listed in your Public Profile, the more ways that clients can find you! Can I change my categories? You can change or add to the list of expertise categories you appear for at any time. Just visit Settings > Expertise Categories. Once again, we encourage you to choose all 100 categories you are allowed to appear under since it will mean you will get access to more jobs! Why do I get an error message when trying to add categories? When adding categories, you may get a message saying: "You can only choose up to 5 Level 1 categories." This does NOT mean you cannot add any more categories. You may add up to 100 rows of subcategories, however, you may only add up to 5 "Level 1" categories. Once you have chosen 5 different level 1 categories, you need to proceed by adding more subcategories under those same Level 1 categories.

You can also go back and remove categories that you have already added. Just clear out the row and you can replace it with different selections. If you already have 5 selections in Level 1 and you want to change one of your Level 1 categories, you need to remove all of those rows before choosing something else. You can see how many remaining categories you can choose at each level by looking above the category table.