Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

I got declined. How can I tell why? Options
Johnny-Admin
Posted: Tuesday, June 7, 2016 12:44:42 PM

Groups: Member

If a client declines your work, you will receive an email notification. Inside that email you will see any explanation that the client left regarding the decline. They can choose common reasons like “did not follow instructions” or “knowledge of topic,” and they can also write in a customized explanation.
Often, though, the reason for the decline is subjective and intangible — the client simply felt like the writing style did not match up to their preferences or the voice of their brand. In these cases, some clients may not have much specific feedback to give. Remember, a lot of your clients are businesspeople rather than editorial professionals! They know what they like, but they might not be very adept at writing workshop-style feedback.
We recommend that you try to learn from any feedback you do receive — but also, do not stress or worry over reading into things too much. Declines should never be taken personally.
Nancy M-49020
Posted: Tuesday, July 5, 2016 4:53:53 PM

HI Johnny. Can you explain again about the auditions and declines/cancels. Some of my auditions are declined and some are cancelled (some are approved!) I think one today that was declined has added a "1 Decline to my stats? Thanks!
Johnny-Admin
Posted: Tuesday, July 5, 2016 10:46:26 PM

Hi Nancy,

If a job from the New Clients Job Board gets declined, you'll see it in your declined folder — but if you look on your dashboard under the "Service Stats" section, you'll see a lower number for the declined stat. Only Direct Assignments and My Clients Job Board jobs that are declined factor into your actual declined stat, in effect. 

If a client from the New Clients Job Board decides to add you to their Favorite Writers but does not purchase the content, it goes into your cancelled folder. Since the client didn't purchase it, it's not in the approved folder and you own the content still.
Beth-16155
Posted: Wednesday, July 6, 2016 10:44:43 AM

Johnny-Admin wrote:
If a client from the New Clients Job Board decides to add you to their Favorite Writers but does not purchase the content, it goes into your cancelled folder. Since the client didn't purchase it, it's not in the approved folder and you own the content still.

Unless the client asks you to flesh it out into a full-fledged piece, correct?
Johnny-Admin
Posted: Wednesday, July 6, 2016 11:01:18 AM

Hi Beth, ultimately the rule is that ownership stays with you until the buyer approves/purchases the content. So if your initial job from the New Clients board is cancelled, you own the content — but if you submit the same content in a longer job later, the buyer owns it after approval. Only if you rewrote the topic from scratch would you still own the content from the shorter initial job that was cancelled.

Note - the word count cannot be increased beyond 250 for those initial jobs, so the client has to assign you a separate job if they want you to expand the content. So the client can 1) pay for the initial job and assign another job or 2) add you to favorites but not purchase it, and assign another job, in which case the initial piece will continue to appear in your Cancelled folder.