Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In | Register

Longer "New Client Job" Pieces Options
Steve-Admin
Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 2016 10:36:29 AM

Groups: Administration , Member, Moderator

All, as most of you know, up until recently, we limited the initial sample pieces to 250 words in length. We did this with the intention of limiting the time invested both from the writer writing it, as well as the buyer having to review all the pieces. 

Ever since we went live with the new writer selection and sampling process, we've been getting many requests from both buyers AND writers to allow longer sample pieces. While we did not expect this, we understand the reasoning behind it on both sides.

On the buyer side, they've expressed that sometimes they can't really get a true feel for whether or not a writer will be able to write the full pieces they want by looking at a shorter piece. Also, some have expressed that they would prefer to be able to end up with a useable, publishable piece at the end of the sampling process.

On the other side, writers have been expressing that they are having difficulty being limited to 250 words. Sometimes they feel its not enough to give the client what they are asking for, and to demonstrate their true depth of knowledge in the field.

So, to address this, we recently made a change that will allow buyers to post initial jobs that are up to 800 words long. We plan on watching carefully over upcoming weeks to see how this impacts the process, and to get feedback from both buyers and writers.

We'd love to hear from you. What do you think?
Melinda-14888
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2016 2:29:57 AM

Groups: Member

Excellent...a much-needed change, in my opinion, for a more effective audition process.
Christine-51757
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2016 2:35:15 PM

I think it's a great idea - but I have one concern. I was recently accepted by a new client to be part of a team - though I did not get paid for the audition. It didn't bother me too much since it was only 250 words. 

If the piece would have been 800 words - that would be a totally different story. Your thoughts? Thanks! 

Chris~~
Steve-Admin
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2016 3:17:39 PM

Groups: Administration , Member, Moderator

This is a legitimate concern Christine. The main reason for limiting the pieces before was to limit the amount of time writers invest in creating the piece, in case they don't end up being compensated for it.

I'd be lying if i said i know exactly what will happen as a result of increasing the word count limit, but here are some things to consider:

1. Many writers expressed that they felt they would have a better chance of showcasing their abilities with longer pieces. By creating a longer piece, it should in theory make it more likely that the buyer will like the piece and add you to their team to assign future work to. In the end, this is the biggest reward since you will make A LOT more in the long run getting assigned regular work than just being paid for one piece

2. In theory, writing a longer piece should also make it more likely that the buyer will actually PURCHASE your initial piece as well. That's because, the buyer can probably actually USE the piece and publish it to their site. Previously, when the pieces were only 250 words or less, the buyer couldnt really publish it since it wasnt long enough in most cases. Now, that will change and buyers are more likely to think of this initial writer selection process as also a chance to create a publishable piece of content.

I can assure you we will be watching this closely and also taking all your feedback along the way. If we sense that writers are not being treated fairly, we will adjust. Of course, this change was mostly requested by writers even more than buyers, so we think it will be a net positive for both sides.
Christine-51757
Posted: Friday, December 30, 2016 1:56:08 PM

Thanks Steve - your efforts are always appreciated! C~~